Monday, July 22, 2013

Week Eight: Finding Solitude {is not easy}

"Only when one is connected to one's inner core is one connected to others. And, for me, the core, the inner spring, can best be re-found through solitude."  Annie Morrow Lindbergh, Writer


We ALL have interruptions. Whether it's from our children, the dog, a knock on the door or our other half...interruptions are always going to happen. And I don't know about you...but nothing can make me lose my creative mojo more than unwanted noise or having to get up to do something when I am right in the middle of writing or painting.

Unfortunately this is a way of life for many of us creative types. Why?? Because we work from home. And while working from home is pretty great and I wouldn't want it any other way...I long for uninterrupted time all to myself!

"Solitude is mandatory for staying connected to one's own soul." -Gail Jones


I know that I am not getting enough solitude in my life and I am allowing all the interruptions to push my dreams to the  back burner. I find myself saying "when things aren't so hectic...then I'll create." Ha! Well guess what?? I don't see my life slowing down anytime soon!! I KNOW I must take full advantage of the time I DO have. I need more creative discipline in my life!!

What does creative discipline look like?? After all...just those two words don't sound right together do they??

Creative
and
Discipline.


Here is some life-changing advice from my favorite author on this subject Gail McMeekin...

"Creative thoughts percolate in silence, in an atmosphere where we can escape the noise and the needs of others. We must dialogue with ourselves and then review the content. We must be still enough to listen and cultivate our creative impulses. Successful creative women value their time enough not to be seduced into doing things that they don't really want to do...unless they choose to. In order to succeed, you MUST create a space, commit the time, value it, and fight for it. And yes, give some things up."

Wow! I don't know about you but that paragraph really speaks to me. Gail is telling us that if we want to live this creative life we dream about...then we must make the time for it. We ARE valuable. What we wish for is ENOUGH. I love that!





This week, girls I want you to think about all the interruptions in your day. Think about the last time you set time aside for yourself to create...how many interruptions did you have? Are some of them {or all of them} self-imposed? I know for me I am the WORST at self-imposed interruptions. I am always thinking of what is on my To-Do list and getting up to do those things.

This week I am making myself a Creative Schedule and allowing myself some much needed and well-deserved uninterrupted creative time. I am also going to think about those things I truly don't need or want in my life right now and set about finding ways I can eliminate them. I encourage you to do the same.
Remember our Absolute Yes list from Week Three??

"When you come to a roadblock, take a detour."  -Mary Kay Ash, Founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics


**By the way...during the hour that it took to write this post here are all the interruptions I experienced...

*non-stop barking from my dog Gizmo
*my kids getting ready to work at Kool Kats...they all needed me for something!!
*my son Jackson came in and needed his laptop for a few minutes before I even got the first paragraph written {we share computers}
*the dryer buzzed two times
*my mom stopped by


Have YOU started your 52 Week journey yet?? Go here to begin!
Stop by our FB group and share your blogs, photos, etc.

How do you handle iinterruptions??

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! For me, it's been about 2 months!!! Eeek. I so look forward to getting back to my art and STILL have your opening questions / prompts saved in my computer to get back to after the SOC. In the meantime, I want to thank YOU for all that you did and for your sweet comments. I'm looking forward to doing it all again with you next year :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!